Monday, June 27, 2011

Learn the language

There's a new show called "My Cat from Hell" that's quickly becoming one of my favorites. The host, Jackson Galaxy, answers the pleas of desperate cat owners as they deal with supposed devil cats. Having grown up with any number of feral cats that I watched, fed and at times tamed, the answers Jackson gave seemed simple to me. But it occurred to me at that point how there are many pet owners who take no time to understand exactly what it is their pets are trying to tell them.

I understand our two cats pretty well. Sunshine always wants affection, no matter what you're doing or how full your arms happen to be at the time. She is curious, playful and on the whole a cat who will roll with the punches eventually. Seline is a calico. For those of you who know calicoes, you understand that I am explaining the entirety of her personality in that one statement. I have learned to handle and cuddle her without the sudden bites that are so common in calicoes, but even so there are still times I am caught off-guard by her radical personality.

The dogs, by comparison, are fairly simple. Shammy is a very vocal dog, and can tell me with a few woofs and chirps (closest description I can come up with for that sound) exactly what he's trying to say. I'm learning Dozer's body language as well, and for the most part, the communication between us is pretty good.

If you own a pet, one of the most important things you can do for them is pay attention. How do they communicate with each other? How do they communicate with you? Are you getting across what you want to say to them, or is it obvious it's falling on deaf and permanently-confused ears? Dogs and cats, as well as some other household pets, are not merely "dumb animals" and I can't stand when people say they are. When you bring a pet into your home, you bring in an emotional being who needs as much love as it does food, water and bathroom space. Be sure to nourish the whole animal, mind and body. It will pay dividends in affection and devotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment